These were actually completed back in November of 2018, shortly after I finally got permission to post my first couple of rounds of work for Pelgrane Press. I always have trouble keeping track of when publications come out and I can’t post the art until they do, so I frequently end up updating actual professional illustrations waaaaaay after I make them!
C’est la vie. I think these are awesome monsters though. I wouldn’t want to face down any of these fiends!!
And here were the initial drawings I submitted, I actually like them just as much.
I mentioned comics the other day. Here are a couple of characters of mine from a long-format comic I have on the docket. They’ve been around in my head for quite a long time! I call them “Resurrection Men” and after a couple of famous unsavory resurrection men (body snatchers) from the past I affectionately refer to them in my head as Burke and Hare. Burke is the one with the striped scarf and black hat and Hare is the one with the odd “brass magnolia” glasses.
I’m sure you can tell there’s something wrong about these gentlemen…this old post also features a sketch from the same comic. I’ll post more concept art from this work as I dig it up…in the middle of an equipment change!
Following on the nature theme of Art in the Wild [tomorrow!] and the recycling theme of the Earth Day Art Crawl, I was going to make more animal skeletons! I still might, but last night my creative process was curtailed by massive local flooding and I’ve been bailing water, moving possessions, disinfecting contaminated textiles, and shoveling mud all last night and today.
However, I can certainly show you the process by which I construct my skeletons.
I cut each individual bone from white card stock left over from hand-trimming all the digital prints I sell. Then I decoupage them into the form of a skeleton onto materials like recycled metal and plastic lids and pieces from broken furniture!
Art in the Wild is tomorrow…can’t wait!!
These lovely turtle skeletons (or Chordata 5 and 6 as I uncreatively call them) debuted in my November ’13 “Patchwork Dragon” solo show and have since been sold. They were very fun to make and consisted of hundreds of small individually cut pieces of paper glued onto painted wood. I used a damaged art print for the brilliant colors of the shell.
They will not be the last turtles I make! I hope to have a turtle or two in the works for the upcoming Art in the Wild group show on Saturday April 5.
11/4/2014 EDIT: Took me longer than I wished, but yes I am currently making a black-skeletoned turtle for the Patchwork Central Holiday Art Sale this coming Saturday! He looks pretty neat so far, I hope to have him done tomorrow.