Yesiree Bob (and everyone else besides Bob) I’m gonna have one of my pieces in Working Together 2014! I’ve been wanting to get into this show for over ten years now, so I’m even more thrilled than usual. This year, I finally got in with one of my Chordata pieces, the snake skeletons!
It’s funny, I was so proud of these babies when I finally finished them (THEY TOOK FOREVER) and then I virtually forgot about them after Patchwork Dragon, the solo show where they debuted. Thank goodness I thought of them when the call for entries came!!
The opening reception is Saturday July 12th from 6pm to 8pm at the Evansville Museum of Arts, History and Science, feel free to come check it out! I saw some of the entries this year and there were some really cool things, I’m really interested and curious to see this year’s featured artists.
Another one of my little lacquered boxes, this was done for the same person who commissioned Kitsune. (She’s heavy into foxes, which is fine because I love ’em too.) Here are some shots of this playful little fox with his lantern, cut from different pieces of origami paper and glued onto a wooden jewel box.
As you can see I glued paper on the sides too. Apologies for the odd background, it’s my kitchen!
Yep, I made an Angel Rex tray. He didn’t stick around long, I can assure you, he was snapped up pretty quick…but in the time I shared with him, I loved him.
You might notice some black streaks or faint smudginess in the red of the tray. That’s because I used a block print of Rex as an experiment. Not surprisingly, the ink smudged! I would caution anyone against decoupaging a block print for this reason. If, like my little rex tray here, the piece still looks pretty nice with streaking, go for it. But I would not recommend the approach if you desperately want a crisp, clean-looking piece. Gritty pieces only!
Back in the days before I had an easier-to-use phone camera, the occasional odd work of traditional art would slip by me without getting fully documented. Such is the case with Phosphate, a piece I was actually quite proud of. I made it as a challenge to myself for last year’s Earth Day Art Crawl.
That year, the inaugural year of the art crawl, we participating artists were challenged to make art which was either environmentally themed, made from recycled materials, or both. I responded by making a phosphate-polluted pond with lovely koi-like fish below the scummy surface, digging out some neglected mod podge and a frame from an old piece of art. Little did I know that mod podge would soon become a frequent element in my traditional art pieces! At the time I just wanted a good way to seal up the old frame and effectively represent the uneven surface of a pond. Here are the progress shots I did manage to get of the piece:
You can see something of the finished piece in the last image, but alas! It is partially covered up by the next pieces I was working on, my “Fleurs du Mal” collage series. I was in something of a rush and I barely finished Phosphate before it was time to run it over to the gallery. Comforting myself that I would be able to document it once the show came down, my hopes were dashed when I discovered it had sold. (Certainly a piece of art being sold is something of a nice consolation prize though.)
I hope you’re happy with your new owner, Phosphate!
These lovely turtle skeletons (or Chordata 5 and 6 as I uncreatively call them) debuted in my November ’13 “Patchwork Dragon” solo show and have since been sold. They were very fun to make and consisted of hundreds of small individually cut pieces of paper glued onto painted wood. I used a damaged art print for the brilliant colors of the shell.
They will not be the last turtles I make! I hope to have a turtle or two in the works for the upcoming Art in the Wild group show on Saturday April 5.
11/4/2014 EDIT: Took me longer than I wished, but yes I am currently making a black-skeletoned turtle for the Patchwork Central Holiday Art Sale this coming Saturday! He looks pretty neat so far, I hope to have him done tomorrow.